Winchelsea Methodist Chapel
Address: Winchelsea Methodist Chapel, Rectory Lane (off the A259), Winchelsea, East Sussex TN36 4EY.
This is one of the few remaining buildings on the Sussex/Kent coast in which the founder of Methodism, John Wesley, preached. The "Preaching House" as it should really be called was opened in 1785 and the pulpit from which Mr Wesley preached on the 29th January 1789 remains in the Chapel.
The "Wesley Tree" is just around the corner and is a cutting from the old tree that blew down in 1927. It was under the original tree on 7th October 1791 that Mr Wesley preached his final open air sermon. The Anniversary of the Chapel is marked by a special service each July and this includes some good hearty singing under the tree.
Regular services are no longer held but the Chapel is maintained by a Management Committee and each month an event is held and this varies and includes services to mark the celebrations of Easter, Harvest and Christmas, coffee mornings, slide presentations, talks, Open days etc. We have excellent links with the friends at the Parish Church and the local community.
More information about the Chapel
We invite folk to become a ‘Friend’ of the Chapel and details can be obtained from any of the following:
Membership Secretary: Ms Chris Edwards - 01424 440682
Publicity Officer: Barry Turnwell – 01424 216456
We would be delighted to send a copy of the history of the Chapel and advance details of events, and we also issue an annual Newsletter to all "Friends".